Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Church: Body of Christ, Mass, Eucharist, Relationship

In this session we will be learning and reflecting on the Mass and our relationship with God and with each other as we come together not only as individuals with unique gifts and talents, but as ONE body - the Body of Christ.

A Sacrifice

Sometimes Mass is boring. And while thinking of Mass as a sacrifice should not justify ineffective preaching, it does help put things in context. Not everything in this world is going to work the way we want it, and even the things we like we aren’t going to like all the time. Like any major commitment, the spiritual life involves discipline and restraint. You won’t always want to go to Mass; you certainly won’t always have time. Of course, if there’s a massive emergency, that’s one thing, but if you’re too busy to leave one hour a week free for God, there’s probably something wrong with your lifestyle. That said, Mass sometimes will be a sacrifice: you’ll think to yourself, I really don’t have time for this. Why am I doing this? You’ll think the same thing-some days-about calling a significant other or going to a family member’s play. Relationships take time, and time often takes sacrifice, discipline, and the pains of not getting to do the thins we want. Don’t think of this sacrifice as a return for Christ’s sacrifice on the cross: that debt can never be repayed. It’s easier to think of our sacrifice in the Mass, simply, as the same sort of sacrifice we make for any relationship that matters to us. Sometimes we’re too busy, sometimes it’s just too boring, sometimes’ we just don’t want to go! But we do. And we keep going. And we trust somewhere along the line, we’ll be reminded of why we started to go in the first place.

The above is an excerpt from the website "Busted Halo". I think it makes a very good point about our relationship to God and going to Mass. Question #1: What is your reaction or thoughts on the above paragraph "A Sacrifice"?

NEXT: Click on "Tour of the Church" (on right) and take the "tour". Remember the names of the different things that you will see because on "TRIVIA NIGHT" you will need to know what the names of similar things are in our church (pictures).

NEXT: . Click on "Top Ten Reasons for Going to Mass" (on right) Question #2: Please comment on your top two reasons for going to mass OR three reasons why you don't go to mass (explain your answers).

NEXT: Click on http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-eucharist-leads-us-to-help-those-most). Question #3: After reading the article please write 3 comments on what Pope Francis says about Eucharist.
(ie. agreed with, disagreed with, don't understand, surprised by, learned something new, etc.)


NEXT: Click on "What Is Truth?" (on right)
.  Final Question #4:  After watching the short video, please think about and comment on "What does this video say is "Truth"?  Do you agree or disagree? Why?

NOTE:Please use the Question numbers when commenting (ie. my answer for 
Question #2 is...)   and sign with "your #"      thanks!

14 comments:

  1. 1. People should make time to go to church once a week for an hour. It's not that hard to do to make your life better.

    2. Mass makes me feel good about myself and i don't mind giving up an hour a week to god at all.

    3. The Eucharist is the real life presence of Jesus. And the Gospels that we here is about the life of Jesus.

    4. I can help kids get better at basketball at our church. A7

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. People should make time for god. This simple task can help your life become better.
    2. People should go to mass to feel a since of peace and it helps you become one with god.
    3. The fact that Eucharist is the real life presence of Jesus and the gospel and i didn't know that the gospels that we here is about Jesus's life.
    4. I can help teach my younger siblings or peers about what i learn in church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. If some people cannot find time to go to mass, they should pray more to God to compensate.

    2. God asked us to make one day holy, to guide and inspire us. People need our prayers, if they are going through hard times.

    3. The Eucharist is the real life presence of Jesus. The Gospel is about Jesus.

    4. The video says that there are no do overs in real life, so guidance is meant to be guidance, not control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.) I beleive that if someone is incapable of going to church , they could do prayer at home . In my opinion , going to church doesnt mean you are connecting with god . Anybody can go to church .. Just talking to god everyday at home is good enough and saying a couple of prayers on the rosary is always good too . 2.) Two reasons for not going to mass are simply because you can speak with god at home without having to go to church . God knows , that if you beleive in him , he is ablw to help you through any moment in life as long as you communicate with him every so often and always remind him you love him . 3.) They are saying that once done is done , once said is said .. being a leader plays a great role in life and if you choose to play that role , you have to try your best to set a good example for everyone that you are leading . #70

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1)It makes sense that you won't be able to have the relationship you want with God right away. It takes time and effort for that to happen.
    2) Church is a peaceful time that helps to get away from the stress of everyday life.
    3) The Eucharist is the actual real prescence of Jesus and is therefore very sacred. It should be taken very seriously.
    4) There is no way to take back actions or words, so you should always think before you speak or act and make sure what you say won't offend anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I think that if people cannot find time to go to mass. They should find other ways to worship and recognize God such as confession, or even going to church during the week even if it is not as common as going on the weekends.
    2. One reason why I go to mass is to ask God for forgiveness. When I'm at mass I pray every mass to ask for my forgiveness of my sins. Also, church is a very nice and peaceful place for getting away from a hectic and cramped lifestyle.
    3- I agree with Pope Francis as he states that the Eucharist is used to communicate and establish our relationships with other people, and the Eucharist is used to be ready to forgive not only ourselves but other people as well, and that the Eucharist is used to fill us with nourishment and a sense of security from Jesus.
    4. The video says that in some instances, there are no second chances; no do-overs. Never do something that will be used to weaken or hurt somebody physically or emotionally. Guidance of the Lord is used to be a sense of security and a sign of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Time shouldn't be a problem. children go to school all day and have sports and relationships that take up time so why cant people to church , why is time an issue? If you have a hectic schedule and find church to be at inconvenient hours, find another way to worship and thank god.
    2. I go to mass to thank god and be forgiven
    3. i agree with the pope in saying that the Eucharist is a way of communication and making relationships with others, and the Eucharist also helps forgive others as long as ourselves.
    4. Many people don't realize how mean their words are, unless they are in that persons shoes being picked on. Nobody should ever say something to hurt a person emotionally or do anything hurting them physically.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I've never seen mass as a sacrifice although sometimes it can be boring most times I find it interesting. I always saw mass as a public way to be more connected with God.
    2.I go to church to strengthen my connection with God and to feel cleansed of sin
    3. I agree, the Eucharist should make us feel happy but should also connect us with God and others
    4. Words can hurt and you have to learn how t control yourself from insulting or assault others because although you won't feel it initially over time you'll feel guilt for the attack verbally or physically

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I've never seen mass as a sacrifice although sometimes it can be boring most times I find it interesting. I always saw mass as a public way to be more connected with God.
    2.I go to church to strengthen my connection with God and to feel cleansed of sin
    3. I agree, the Eucharist should make us feel happy but should also connect us with God and others
    4. Words can hurt and you have to learn how t control yourself from insulting or assault others because although you won't feel it initially over time you'll feel guilt for the attack verbally or physically

    ReplyDelete
  10. #31
    1. I agree that mass can be boring and be a sacrifice
    2. I don't go to mass because it bores me, I usually have other commitments, and my family does not usually go to mass
    3. It radically affects our relationship with others, it makes us concerned about others and help them with their problems, it helps us forgive other people and we can ask God to forgive ourselves
    4. You should never hurt someone physically or emotionally and I could try to control my emotions when I do want to hurt someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. #31
    1. I agree that mass can be boring and be a sacrifice
    2. I don't go to mass because it bores me, I usually have other commitments, and my family does not usually go to mass
    3. It radically affects our relationship with others, it makes us concerned about others and help them with their problems, it helps us forgive other people and we can ask God to forgive ourselves
    4. You should never hurt someone physically or emotionally and I could try to control my emotions when I do want to hurt someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Mass can be repetitive and inconvenient to people with busy schedules.
    2. I normally don't have time for mass, I have other obligations, It is not mandatory in my household to go to mass.
    3.Pope Francis is correct in saying that the Eucharist helps us establish relationships and forgive others.
    4.Words and actions can have lingering affects on people and you normally don't get the chance to unsay those words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. #21
    1)Mass may be boring now but eventually become important
    2)my mom makes me , to pray
    3)I agree that the euchrist affects my realtionships, gives me a forgiven feeling, and lastly highly affects my life
    4)Watch what you say and do becareful as well as you may hurt someones feelings which you cant undo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #60
    1. People should learn to make more time for God. Hes also a very important factor in our lives to and needs to be recognized that he is.
    2. One reason why i go is because my dad wants to help make me realize the importace in church god and in praying.
    3. Pope francis is correct. And the fact that the Euchrist is so sacred and should help us become closer to god and jesus
    4. Words can be very harmful and you should watch what you are saying to others for you could offend or even hurt someones feelings without meaning to

    ReplyDelete